Saturday 1 November 2014

Huevos Rancheros meets Ham, Egg and Chips


I really fancied huevos rancheros today, but as I'd already used my Hex B for my bacon butty at breakfast, I decided to substitute a thick slice of ham for the tortilla.

The advantage of serving it with a cooked salsa rather than raw, is that I could add plenty of onion to really up that superfree.

Husband requested chips, so I made him some black pepper jacket wedges. They're almost chips, and I can't be too compliant now can I?



So, this is what I did:

Serves 2
Syn free on Extra Easy

2 thick slices of ham, all visible fat removed
4 potatoes, skin left on, cut into wedges
salt and coarsely ground pepper
8 tomatoes, de-seeded and finely chopped
1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped

To flavour the salsa, I used the leftover spicy sauce from last night's tiger prawns, which consisted of:

a small knob of ginger, minced
a couple of cloves of garlic, minced
1-2 tbsp tomato purée
1-2 tsp paprika

Par boil the potatoes, shake well in a sieve or colander to rough them up a bit, place on a baking sheet, sprinkle with salt and cracked black pepper. Cook in the oven on a high temperature until nicely brown.

Meanwhile, make the salsa. Sauté the chopped onion, garlic and ginger in Fry Light until soft, then add the tomatoes. Continue cooking for a minute or two, then add the tomato purée and paprika. You may need to add some water if the mixture is too stiff.

Serve with the ham and a fried egg.

No comments:

Post a Comment