Friday 3 August 2012


Fish Fingers with Wasabi Pea Purée


Ever since seeing an advert last week, Husband has had a craving for fish fingers. I refuse to 'pay' the syn value for shop bought fish fingers, so I promised him I would make my own. Me being me, I couldn't just serve the usual fish fingers, peas and mash – I wanted to put my own original stamp on the recipe. Rather than just plain mushy peas, I added a few extra vegetables to ensure I got my one-third superfree, and to liven the pea purée up a little, I added wasabi paste. Husband loved it! 

 

Serves 2
Syn Free on Extra Easy*

* Providing you use the bread as your Healthy Extra B

2-3 frozen cod fillets
2 slices wholemeal bread from a 400g loaf
1 tsp dried dill
1 tsp celery powder
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp black pepper
¼ tsp salt
1 egg, beaten
2 cups frozen peas
1 cup green beans, chopped
100g spinach
1 onion, finely chopped
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
6-8 mint leaves
1-2 tsp wasabi paste
1 carrot
1 courgette
4 tomatoes



Remove the fish fillets from the freezer – leave to thaw slightly for 30 minutes or so, then cut into fingers while still partially frozen.

Tear the bread slices in pieces and place in a food processor. Pule a few times until fine breadcrumbs. Add the dill, celery powder, garlic powder, pepper and salt, and mix well. Spread out on a large baking sheet and place in the oven for 5 minutes on 200°C until crisp and browned.

Dip the fish fingers in the beaten egg, then coat in the breadcrumbs. Bake at 210°C for around ten minutes or so until cooked through, depending on the thickness of the fish.

For the pea purée, boil the peas with the onion, celery, beans, spinach and mint leaves for around ten minutes. Briefly liquidise for a few seconds, and add wasabi paste to taste. 

 

Peel the carrot. Using a cheese slicer or vegetable peeler, thinly slice the carrots and courgette lengthways. Take one slice of each and roll up together, securing with a cocktail stick. Steam for 7-10 minutes. Carefully remove the stick before serving. 













Halve the tomatoes and grill.

Place a large spoonful of pea purée on each plate and top with the fish fingers. Place the vegetable rolls and tomatoes around the edges and serve. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment